Subject: [Leica] And now for something, only slightly different
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 13:43:05 -0700

I will do this on-list just in case anyone else is interested.

The Monument Valley is really something completely different, and in a good
way. You can visit any time, but obviously the weather is a factor (i.e. it
may be too hot to enjoy it even now) - check the site for details.

It's not a National Park, as the entry guard cheerfully tells you. For $5
per vehicle, it's a bargain at that. The basic idea is that you drive
around a loop of ~14 miles. They say be prepare to stop for pictures so
count on 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I did it in 4 hours :-) You never get too close
to the fantastic formation but my longest lens is 85/2, and I feel it's
sufficient. I don't think this is a detail shots type of environment.

When you enter, you can stop at the visitor center, with food and a hotel,
and indeed you can stay there all day as it is the high section of the
valley. Amazing Sunset view, apparently. I bet a 150mm lens will serve well.

If you drive, make sure you car has reasonably high clearance. I saw some
Altima struggling the last 200 feet back up. On my Rav4, I used first gear
and the car sensor kept telling me that I had no traction (duh). It's not
bad really if you are used to sand or snow, but I did see couple people
struggling (no traction, slid down...)

You can also hire a Najavo guide to take you around. Normally you are not
allowed to go off path, either on car or on foot. I do not know how much
they charge but my guess is that they are relatively inexpensive. They also
seem to be very patient, doing it on your schedule.

Throughout the loop, there are side branches, usually with some vista and
people selling beads and such. You can rent a horse tour etc.

Next time I go, I may get there the previous night and hire a guide for
some morning photos, we will see.

Definitely well worth the experience. I can't really say why, but I am
totally in awe of the place.