Subject: [Leica] IMG: Meli
From: gerry.walden at me.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 05:07:15 +0100

Thanks for the pretty full answer Tina.

Please do not take this in any way as a personal criticism, but you have
highlighted a point that I have felt so long about the whole model release
'thing' which I have felt for a very long time. Most, if not all, agencies
now require releases for any image that shows a person no matter how
nebulous. You have a release for the person in a language they do not
understand with a signature which means nothing because it is merely a mark.
Is there any value to that release at all?

As I said, this is not a criticism of you in any way, but more of the
industry and the stupidity of its requirements where a release is now
required for a crowd scene which may contain several hundred people, and for
what. There is virtually no chance that those people would take action in
court for damages, and even less chance that they would win. As
photographers we have to pander to the stupidity of their requirements or
they will not use our images.

Rant over!

Gerry

Gerry Walden