Subject: [Leica] 50AA: What does it mean for film users?
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 11:25:17 -0700

The 50 f/2 ASPH is long overdue.  The only thing I've seen that is
overkill is the price.  For landscape types or those who have want
good edge-to-edge performance for other reasons, the usual high speed
50's are a bit disappointing if used wider than f/5.6 or even f/8.
I'll be curious what Leica has actually achieved when they publish the
MTF (which they have not done yet).

Films have very high resolution and can, for critical shooters, use
the increased performance.  Grain is what limited me in my film use.

The sensors can also use the additional sharpness.  Almost all lenses
resolve more than the M senor's "Nyquist limit," which, I might add,
the JPL folks laugh at.  They work with sub-pixel information all the
time.  The additional contrast of the image at moderate resolutions is
where most of the action is for us, however.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com