Subject: [Leica] Cash cow
From: douglasnygren at yahoo.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 10:35:16 -0700 (PDT)

I read with interest the exchanges
on whether Leica's prices are reasonable.
?
I leave to each of you to determine for yourself
whether that is the case.
?
I will share my thoughts.
?
Thought one is actually a question:?how did a 50mm Summicron
jump to such a?high in price?
?
Thought two concerns the new Monochrome. If you can't recover highlights
with the MM
what difference does it matter what camera can do?
?
My third thought concerns my bottom line, namely, the M is getting too
expensive
for my taste. I find myself asking, what else could I buy for that amount of
money?
?
And finally, my thought is that as Leica's prices go oup, they will need to
find new
cutomers.
?
I'm sure they've done their market reasearch and creating new markets is
what they want to do.
?
I am glad I have what I have of their product, but I can't see myself buying
anything new from their current selection.
?
They remind me of companies that keep raising their prices in order to milk
every dollar out of the market and when they have the last cent, their run
is over. I hope the fate of other cash cows is not that of Leica.
?
Best--Doug
?
?