Subject: [Leica] OT: Wow
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 19:18:29 -0400

Many of us myself included have long said on the LUG and elsewise that the
benchmark of a companies optical line up is in its normal 50mm lens. This is
common photo knowledge. A given.
Interested in getting into Pentax? Buy its current body with its 50mm normal
lens and take it for a spin around the block. That's always been how we see
a camera company.
Many photo people myself included think that Summicron has been the main
brand in the Leica lens lineup for many years. When you think Leitz or Leica
you think Summicron.
Your  Leica Summicron is your Peanut butter Skippy.
The 50mm Summicron M for all these years should have been the Linchpin in
the lens line up its been embarrassingly the opposite. Way too old of a
design and with specs that reflect that.  And that was reflected in the fact
that you could get it for less money than any other Leica M lens,
Now Dr. Andreas Kaufmann has reversed that.
Its pretty much the first thing I would have done if I was in a different
dimension made head of Leica.
Make the 50 Summicron the best Leica has to offer.
Its the one they look at first.
And as its the best Leica has to offer its also by definition the best lens
in the world.

Though if the price  is higher than the Summilux 50 M next year than that
would be unusual. Because as I understood it they spared nothing in the
design of that lens as well.

I think in the world of SLR's now DSLR's a 50 1.4 is they key lens in an
optical system. You want 1.4 not for its speed but to make a brighter
groundglass and one which pops in and out of focus faster.
But in a rangefinder world its the 50 f2 M Summicon. Long been a household
Leica word.

But for a year it will be ironic buying the Summilux to save money while
buying your first new Leica M.

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/

> From: Richard Man <richard at richardmanphoto.com>
> Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 15:46:57 -0700
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Wow
>
> If I have $8000 to burn, I'd buy a 50/2 AA before I buy the MM.
>
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 3:43 PM, James Laird <digiratidoc at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I never thought of the 50 Summilux as a bargain, but I do now :)
>>
>> Jim Laird
>>
>> On Saturday, June 2, 2012, Geoff Hopkinson wrote:
>>
>>> This lens does not replace the current Summicron. That one continues in
>> the
>>> line currently too.
>>> It is a very high price indeed, no question. It's also the best
>>> specification of any lens that Leia Camera has ever produced.
>>>
>>> The little letters that explain the difference are MTF ;-)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Geoff