Subject: [Leica] Marriage
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 11:31:13 -0400

But the cool thing about having a long-term girlfriend is that the
state can't mandate that she take half of everything I own or have
earned during the time we were together.
People get together. Sometimes they stay that way for the rest of their
lives. Sometimes they break up.
Alimony laws are arcane and often draconian in their scope. They are
irrelevant in this day and age yet they are enforced every day as the
divorces are becoming as casual as breakups with girlfriends in
college. If someone wants to be that casual about his finances and
possessions, more power to him but the dangers and pitfalls are well
known today so entering into a marriage should be the most important
business merger a person could do in their life.

Phil Forrest