Subject: [Leica] Olympics: Leave your long lenses home.....
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 08:41:55 -0700

Frank Filippone OFFERED:

> >From the BJP
> "The London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games has announced that
> "large photographic and broadcast equipment over 30cm in length" will not
> be
> allowed in the venues during the July and August sport events."
> http://tinyurl.com/ct9t7yn

YOU JUST HAVE TO READ THE ABOVE news release!
And be very very glad you will not be a media photographer covering the
London UK. Summer Olympics!!!!!!!! :-(

My comments are based on covering very nearly all international sports
events since 1968 until Edmonton 2001!

Now I realize the world fanatics are bent on destroying what we might
consider a nice relatively safe way of life in sports, international or
other wise. May I offer a read about as stupid as it could ever be by an
organizing committee. Certainly regarding long lenses. Unless these
regulations pertain to only "Paying seat holders?" And not media photogs.
HOWEVER? I shall see if I can get a clarification re: MEDIA GLASS?

BY THE SAME TOKEN "the crazies who are quite content to blow themselves to
pieces, this event is a challenge for them to attempt to be their most
successful! :-(

Rarely do you see  patrons sitting in the stands with a 300mm or longer.
200mm is about it in  most cases. And that's usually some kind of zoom lens
affordable by an amateur. .The media are the people going to be carrying
300-400-600-800mm glass and longer! Tripods have never been allowed because
they take-up too much room of the limited space in all accredited photo
positions in all venues regardless of what the sport.  Monopods are cool!

I do not for one iota of a second feel bad about not covering the London
Olympics! Simply because this article already points out the horror stories
of security and limited photo position space.

Even though you are an accredited photographer doesn't mean you can  shoot
from wherever you want!... THAT IS A NO-NO WITHOUT QUESTION at anytime ".
LONDON?  Man that just isn't going to happen!

Imagine you have a 400 mm Leica 2.8 and you are cutting through the stands
and decide "lots of room for a neat long shot onto the track?"  Before you
get the first frame off the chances are you will be face down on the
concrete wondering "WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?" And where is my gear? Oh and
don't pull the "Public have a right know and I'm accredited line!" You will
undoubtedly get the tongue lashing of a lifetime, accreditation pulled never
to get inside another venue.

Your next move after the "Bobbies?" That's Brit for cops, are finished with
you? The next thing is go to the airport and go home as it's "GAMES OVER FOR
YOU!"

I just thought you folk might like to know it wont be like covering a
Saturday afternoon football game.

cheers,
Dr. ted