Subject: [Leica] Final Sobol Photos with MM
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 11:06:28 -0400

This is a sad joke on so many levels. First, as a marketing effort it is
beyond pathetic. It tells us NOTHING about the product; does not make the
product at all appealing; doesn't show us what the product can do; really
doesn?t show us the product - the camera, or for that matter any
photographs that couldn't have been produced by literally any camera. This
is not surprising given Leica's previous bizarre marketing campaigns, I
think particularly of the photographs of hands of famous photographers, as
though hands, rather than eyes, are what makes a photographer;

Second, this only serves to highlight the fact that Magnum is no longer
"your father's Magnum." I have been acutely aware of this for some time as
I use Magnum Stories and Magnum Contact sheets in my classes. The days
when Magnum was a collective of the world's greatest documentary
photographers and photo journalists is behind us. Yes, there are some
absolutely fabulous photographers who are Magnum members - and the name is
still magical, but there are also many Magnum photographers today whose
work leaves me shaking my head in bewilderment.

Third - Flash. Really? Flash? In a Leica ad?

None of this is a comment in any way about the merits or lack of them of
the MM. But then this film tells us nothing about the MM. ;-)