Subject: [Leica] IMG: Pied-biled Grebe
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 12:50:27 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

This time of year the Sierra Valley (California highway 89 north of Truckee)
is a spectacular area for breeding birds.  The valley is entirely private
ranch property, but the community is very aware of the importance to
wildlife of the area.

Marble Hot Springs road, where I spent Saturday, cuts across the valley and
through marshes fed by the springs.

One of the highlights of the day was a family of Pied-billed Grebes: an
adult and four half-grown chicks.  I saw no sign of the other adult.

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/pbgreb05.html

One of the grebe chicks' favorite games is called Hop On Pop, even if it's
really Mom:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/pbgreb06.html

Grebes often carry their chicks on their backs, but these were getting big
enough that the game will soon be over.

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/pbgreb07.html

The chicks are constantly looking for a handout:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/pbgreb08.html

A family portrait:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/pbgreb09.html

Technical stuff:  R8/DMR, shoulder stock, hiding inside an old blue truck.
Second photo made with 560mm f/6.8 Novoflex Telyt, others made with 280mm
f/4 APO + 2x APO-Extender-R.  All comments welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from topoxforddoc at btinternet.com (Charlie Chan) ([Leica] IMG: Pied-biled Grebe)