Subject: [Leica] Equipments do not matter, / Re: OT: Are we Anal or what? "The Puddle Jumper" / Re: How about this one?
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 19:23:40 -0700

Jim, first of all, this is such an old saw that actually "everyone,"
including "everyone" on the LUG would say that.

(BTW, I find it highly amusing that terms like "everyone on the LUG" and
"everyone except a couple people on the LUG" get thrown around so much.
It's like everyone on the LUG speaks for everyone else, or like to think
their opinions is the only one different from everyone else on the LUG.
It's great to be the loner, or the mass majority, I guess, but I digress...)

Anyway, while there are certain truth to the statement, it's just to get
the gear obsessive people off talking about gears, but it has no reality if
you actually try to take photos. It's pure bull.

Sure HCB would probably have been a great photographer if he used a Kodak
Brownie, but HE WOULD NOT HAVE TAKEN THE SAME GREAT images.

This is why we do obsess over gears, in the ideal case, (hopefully) not
because we are camera whores, but because we want the best tools for a
particular job.

Lets assume a P&S has 300 megapixels and can make 10'x20' feet print
easily. The only caveat, for argument sake, is that it still has a shutter
lag of 0.5 seconds.

Now compare that to a, lets say, Leica M9, which can only make "small
prints" of a couple feet.

If you are a photojournalist, you pick the latter. If someone gives you the
former, you'd sell it and buy the latter.

If you do landscape, you pick the former.

So gears do matter.

--

Replies: Reply from john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel) ([Leica] Equipments do not matter, / Re: OT: Are we Anal or what? "The Puddle Jumper" / Re: How about this one?)