Subject: [Leica] OT: Dina Kantor
From: lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 07:06:07 -0400

Bill, thank you for tactfully pointing out my ignorance of this issue.
Treece is, indeed, a toxic horror story:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/20/magazine/last-ones-left-in-treece-kan-a-toxic-town.html?pagewanted=all

I missed the photo-journalistic content of Kantor's Treece photos, my bad,
I guess, but I must say that it's hard to pin down the lasting value of
this kind of coverage. This brand of artist/photojournalist/concerned
photography baffles me (maybe that's the point). Is it a premature memento
mori, the significance of which will increase over the years? What?