Subject: [Leica] Are we anal puddle jumpers or what?
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 18:45:34 +0200

Just for your information the original title in French is NOT the
decisive moment,
  it is "A la sauvette"
which probably doesn't translate well
but conveys the idea that permission was not granted,
and that the action was probably swift so that surrounding people
wouldn't notice it;
cf. end of video #2  of HCB hopping along on the streets of Paris and
shooting by instinct,
sometimes nearly bumping into passers-by to get the shot.
REM: He'd get a new set of teeth everyday if he were to try this
nowadays ...

VDO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqsOYsZlPX4
Photography for him is a "way/means for drawing" or "to keep a diary".
He says he would have much fun shooting without film in the camera
were it not for the urgency to communicate and bring testimonies of
the world as it is.

"We steal, we're picpockets" ...

Insists a lot on his background as a painter, and some of his masters

@4'50 "I have a passion for geometry" (look at his hand movements then)

MORE HERE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjjGiBUaf4s&feature=relmfu

some references to gear - asked he says there's no recipe, he sets the
shudder speed at 1/125 and knows about the rest by instinct - the
Leica is just there because of its format (last seconds) prefered over
the square ... his pet lens is a 50mm, the other two are used only on
assignments.

Some form of contradiction though : in the first document he states
that the photog should be neutral, or at least be immersed into the
other's culture (referring to China then) whereas in the second he
states that the photog's - read his - point of view can conflict with
that of the magazine's editors (in the lay-out for instance) ...

Hope this didn't bother anyone.
Bien cordialement de Metz, Lorraine
Philippe, back to flowers due to the shortage of poodles today.

Le 19 juin 12 ? 17:23, B. D. Colen a ?crit :