Subject: [Leica] Message 42, Vol 50, Issue 214 – Images or Equipment – what we discuss
From: bigdlakeside at yahoo.com (Rod Smith)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 06:52:46 -0700 (PDT)

George your comments are very much appreciated.
I have followed this forum silently for a number of years. In that time, I
have noticed some patterns. One has been that most of the posts are about
images. Some of the posts are about equipment.
There seems to be a cyclical interest in equipment. Once somebody gets the
ball rolling, there becomes a considerable amount of comment. Most of which
seems well intentioned, well informed and useful.
But after a time, there comes some posts that seem to denigrate the talk
about equipment.
Your comment, has, I think, put this in perspective.
We do not do photography without equipment (tools).
It is true, that the endearing, lasting value of photography may be not be
exclusively tied to what equipment was used. Yet the changes in the
technology and equipment influence how we create the images, and influence
what kind of images are produced. Few of us have the time and resources to
spend testing and evaluating every piece of equipment. Therefore we turn to
people who we respect to hear their thoughts and experiences. Fortunately
for us, when an image is created with pieces of equipment that interest us,
we can share our efforts and work on line for others to see.
So, as for myself, I appreciate the discussion on all aspects of what we do.
That is why I come to this forum. I follow no others.
I admit I feel I got the ball rolling in a recent discussion about the Fuji
X-1. Throughout the last few weeks I have learned a great deal about other?s
experiences. While I have not decided what to do, I think that the comments
have been quite educational and far more valuable than what I could have
received from a retailer.
Thanks to all who have informed me on the equipment and shown us their work
with the equipment.
Rod Smith