Subject: [Leica] The death of the silver gelatin prints
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 13:51:53 -0400

Two quick thoughts:
1. Archival: Perhaps there are some W. Eugene Smiths and Ansel Adamses
among us, but the reality for most of us is that the world will not
neither note nor mourn the fading of our prints once we are gone. So if
one is in the business of photo restoration and preservation for major
institutions, the debates over longevity are indeed important, but
otherwise?
2. As Montie notes, "different" and "better" are not synonymous. I am a
huge fan of digital printing, but there really is a depth to a good silver
print that is not present in even the best pigment prints. That is not to
say that the pigment prints aren't gorgeous (nor to invite a debate) -
just to note that they are different.