Subject: [Leica] Printing the Alaska photos
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 11:01:59 -0500

On 6/24/2012 9:14 AM, H&ECummer wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:42:26 -0500
>> From: Ken Carney <kcarney1 at cox.net>
>> Subject: [Leica] Printing the Alaska photos
>> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>>
>> I'm now starting to print some of the photos from the LUG Alaska
>> adventure.  As I might have guessed, most of the landscapes are doing
>> better in b&w.  Here is one example:
>>
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/kcarney/_MG_4482-Edit.jpg.html
>>
>> The few so far are looking good at about 12 x 18".  When I have them
>> really dialed in 21" wide might be better, in 24" wide frames. These are
>> with the Epson 3880 and ABW, which I am tempted to say might replace
>> ImagePrint (for me).
>>
>> Comments and help always welcome.
>>
>> Ken
> Ken,
> This is beautiful - much more mysterious than colour.
> What is ABW?
> Cheers
> Howard

Howard,

Thanks for looking.  ABW (Advanced Black & White System) is Epson's
approach to b&w printing with a color printer.  It accomplishes this by
using mostly the black inks and a little of the color ink.  I think it
works really well with a little experimenting.  The prints don't show
any signs of color shift, and you can print on semi-gloss papers with
the Epson factory ink. Prior to that, I used the ImagePrint software
with success for b&w.  A consideration there is that I paid $900 for my
Epson 3880, and the ImagePrint software is also $900...The Quadtone RIP
also works well for b&w (www.quadtonerip.com) and only costs $50.

Ken
(Most all of the b&w prints I brought on the cruise were with the 3880
and ABW.)

Replies: Reply from abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Printing the Alaska photos)