Subject: [Leica] Leica Gallery and the Puddle Jumper
From: lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 00:44:31 -0400

As Philippe discovered in the Christes' lot notes quoted in your email, HCB
had adopted his full frame only practice prior to printing La Gare with
only 2 exceptions("une des deux seules images"): The La Gare photo itself
and another of Cardinal Pacelli. There's no need to speculate about what he
may have done or why since it is discussed openly.

The note goes on to explain that the puddle frame was largely ignored by
him (shot several years earlier) until he re-evaluated his work for his
solo MoMA show which opened in Feb, 1947 (my birth month and year),
although the scrap book version dates from the previous year. I thought it
was a known fact that the MoMA show marked its first public appearance, so
I was surprised to read it's only "l'un des premiers tirages de cette
photographie," ie there are other prints extant

My French is a little rough, Philippe may offer corrections.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/LotDetailsPrintable.aspx?intObjectID=549419

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Leica Gallery and the Puddle Jumper)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Leica Gallery and the Puddle Jumper)