Subject: [Leica] Ban on cameras at the Olympics
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 14:51:59 +0200 (CEST)

I have never understood why first-class cities like London or Paris bother
with the Olympics. There is no case of Olympics delivering any kind of
lasting benefit. Mostly, they result in huge debts which the taxpayers end
up paying.

Some justification can be made for second-rate cities like Atlanta or
Barcelona that hope the Olympics will "put them on the map". That
certainly happened to Barcelona after 1992, but the question is whether it
would not have happened anyway as Spain was entering its period of
economic boom following accession to the EU in 1986.

If I lived in London I would look for an opportunity to leave town during
the Olympics, and I would not dream of visiting the city during the games.

Cheers,
Nathan