Subject: [Leica] IMG: Another one for Jim N
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 14:41:11 -0500

Hi Mark,

I'm sure you are aware of this problem, but I will elaborate anyway.  This
was shot at 1/1000, which will stop most airplane props.  I've found that I
have to reduce the speed to 1/200 or slower to show the propeller in proper
motion.  And this is for props that cruise at 2000 - 2600 rpm.  Helicopter
rotors turn much slower, so it is almost impossible to show them in motion
and still get a sharp image of the aircraft.

New York has more choppers per square mile than any other place on earth.
Try a few shots and see how hard it is to get just what you want.

Here is a helicopter shot made at 1/400 which shows the rotor blades
blurred.  The tail rotor, with many blades, is more of a blur.  With the
Telyt 250/4, I did not try slower speeds.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Airborne+74.jpg.html

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA