Subject: [Leica] (tech) Lens comparisons - 50mm Summilux - has photos
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:38:26 -0400

And one would think that a cutting edge modern optic fresh out of Leica
compared to an old classic deserves to be looked at in more involved and
complete optical terms than just bokeh.
One is going to spend 5 grand instead of 1 grand became of creamier
backgrounds?
Bokeh is mainly just  a reflection of good optical design. Sure they can
also put more blades in and have them curved but its mainly just that.
A better lens is going to not just resolve what's IN focus in a better way
but what's not in focus in a better way.
It went from being a new quirky concept from Japanese photographers using
German glass to the be all and end all of a lens.
There just is a whole lot more to it than that.
A lens review is not just a discussion of its bokeh. But that  is getting to
be more and more what you're reading on the internet.
A new lens is just out? What does the bokeh look like?

Mark William Rabiner
Photography