Subject: [Leica] Resetting Leica file number
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 18:27:57 -0700

Some time ago, one of our members proposed a method for overriding
the resetting of the file number of photograph back to 1 when
uploading new M9 firmware.

A friend and I just established that an even simpler method not only
works, but enables resetting the number to ANY desired value.

Simply take a picture, which, of course, will have the number L1000001.

Put the card in a card reader. At the top level, you will see "DCM".
Click on it. You will see "100LEICA". Click on it, and you will see
L000001.DNG. Now highlight that file name (two clicks, usually), and
edit it to whatever number you want. (I don't recommend trying to
changed it to any other format. The format appears to be "L1"
followed by six digits followed by ".DNG" though I must assume that
the first two characters can be "L1" through "L9:.

Herb
--
Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org