Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Trip to New Mexico and Colorado
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 21:54:27 -0400

I left Philadelphia on July 19th for a trip out west with an undetermined
return date. Heck, if I find a job here I'll stay here for a bit longer than
just a couple months.

This trip is my first in years where I've only shot film, in this case
on a Nikon SP and S2 with 2.8cm, 3.5cm f/1.8 and 5cm f/1.4 lenses. I
wished so bad that I had a longer focal length but living in the city
for years I just never shot with them so didn't take my Leica and LTM
10.5cm Nikkor.

I got to both learn the Nikon RF cameras and learn about shooting film
all over again. My Mk-1.6 eyeball lightmeter needs recalibration also.

Most of what I exposed was Tri-X or Plus-X, the emulsions I know best.
I don't have any contrast filters yet so I shot just bare, flat images
and pumped up the contrast in post. It's not like working with an M9
DNG, that's for sure.

I'm at the mercy of a local lab in Albuquerque for processing and
scanning. They gave me low-res scans with a good amount of .jpg
compression by mistake when I asked for higher resolution. Anyway, I'll
stop making excuses and post some photos. (Cross posted from RFF.)

On the way up to Colorado for a camping trip.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/320580-2/0712NMTrip_05.jpg

Dad consulting a map.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/320584-2/0712NMTrip_08.jpg

Near the top of Ophir Pass, Colorado.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/320656-2/0712NMTrip_25.jpg

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/320640-2/0712NMTrip_21.jpg

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/320628-2/0712NMTrip_18.jpg

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/320632-2/0712NMTrip_19.jpg

Just before the rain came in. Alta, Colorado.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/320660-2/0712NMTrip_26.jpg

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/320600-2/0712NMTrip_11.jpg

Brother and his girlfriend under the remains of a roof near Alta, Colorado.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/320596-2/0712NMTrip_10.jpg

There was a ton of dramatic light out in Colorado up at the high altitudes,
I just wished I took a bit of filtration for better contrast. And I'm not a
landscape photographer for sure. I just shot what I thought looked nice, so
I kind of got back to my photo roots from 20+ years ago just shooting like
an interested kid.

Your comments and critiques are always appreciated.
Thanks all!
Phil Forrest

--
http://philipforrestphoto.wordpress.com/