Subject: [Leica] Times Photographer Is Arrested on Assignment in NY
From: gcr910 at gmail.com (Greg Rubenstein)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 22:12:00 -0500

I'll add my three cents as a former media guy.

Phil raised valid points as a photographer and former LEO.

The article is The Times' side of the saga.

I was moved away by LEOs in my day and generally shifted to a longer lens
from a less obtrusive or less dangerous place. Officers knew what I was
doing and I knew what they were doing.

Now, the tricky part: Do riots cause photographers or do photographers cause
riots? [Let's stipulate that in this context "photographers" is a synonym
for media.]

PDN several years ago ran a widely used photo of masked Palestinians hurling
Molotov cocktails. Who and what they were thrown at varied by caption writer.

What PDN also ran opposite that photo that other media did not was a second
photo of the same scene from a different angle. It showed a phalanx of
photographers photographing people hurling the Molotov cocktails into an
empty lot backed by a brick wall. A much different story than what was shown
in the mainstream media.

Do riots cause photographers or do photographers cause riots?

We don't have all the facts from the various sides of the New York incident,
but we do know what happens when cameras of any sort appear at a flashpoint
situation; they can spark the explosion or deliver a useful record. We also
know all sides can turn and use the media to promote their agendas.

Let's get all the facts. Let's also try to look at it objectively; there's
far more we don't know about the totality of the incident that drew media
attention than we do know. The photographer is a sideshow, possibly The
NYT's reminder not to argue with the guy who owns the printing presses and
the ink.

Any of y'all know for sure what happened there other than The NYT guy was
arrested?

Greg Rubenstein

Sent from my iPhone

Replies: Reply from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest) ([Leica] Times Photographer Is Arrested on Assignment in NY)