Subject: [Leica] IMG: Moros y Cristianos in Almoradí
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 09:05:22 +0200

Many Spanish towns, certainly in this part of the country, have an annual
Moros y Cristianos festival, commemorating the occupation of Spain by the
Moors in the early Middle Ages and its reconquista by the Catholic kings in
the late Middle Ages. The process of Reconquista took several hundred years,
starting in the north and ending with the departure of the last Moorish
ruler from Granada in 1492. The Valencia region, where Alicante is located,
was reconquered in the second half of the 13th century. For that reason, the
dates of the local festivals vary widely. In our neighbouring town of El
Campello it is in early January, but in the inland town of Almorad?, 50 km
from Alicante, it was this past weekend. The fiestas generally consist of
re-enactments of some battles, speeches but most of all they are an excuse
to party for several days--in the case of Almorad? from Thursday afternoon
until Sunday evening. Given that, the amount of drunkenness was remarkably
low when we went there to see the culmination of the fiesta on Sunday. In
Northern Europe, such an event would inevitably result in some people on the
ground, some fighting, vandalism etc.--but not here. The Spanish know how to
party hard but civilised.

We had the honour of being invited to have lunch with the Moros, led by our
friends Maricarmen and Hilari?n. Whether one is a Moor or a Cristiano during
these fiestas is determined by tradition and passed down through generations.

The pictorial record is here:

http://www.greatpix.eu/Other/Moros-y-Cristianos-Almoradi

Cheers,
Nathan