Subject: [Leica] 2012 NYLUG Meeting & Fuji X Pro-1 Comments
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 08:33:57 -0400

Thanks to John Lee we had another fine NYLUG meeting at ICP in Manhattan
last Friday.  Our lecturers were Tina Manley on "Documentary Photography"
and Karen Nakamura on "Visual Anthropology"--two topics that went well
together.

I've posted a few pictures from the meeting.  These were all taken with a
Fuji X Pro-1 and the 35 mm Fujinon at ISO 1600 and ISO 6400 using in-camera
jpgs.  The high ISO performance still astonishes me and the 35 mm lens is
wonderful.  The camera is a slow focuser, though, by current standards but
wonderfully useful in this kind of situation.

Two X Pro-1 quirks you might want to be aware of:  1) Uploading images to an
iPad via the Camera Connection Kit leaves residual iPad files on the SD
card.  These files make the camera turn-on *VERY SLOW*--like 8 seconds.  The
cure is to reformat the card after putting it back in the camera.  2)  There
is no way to lock manual focus--at least that I've found.  That means that
any jiggling of buttons on the camera or the focus ring refocuses the
camera.  The net result is that the camera is useless for zone focusing.
Fuji, are you listening????  These issues need to be addressed.

Pictures:

Karen and Chris Saganich admire Karen's Ricoh M-module camera.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2012_nylug/DSCF0539.jpg.html

Tina lecturing.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2012_nylug/DSCF0558.jpg.html

Roger Rubin and Lew Schwartz listening.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2012_nylug/DSCF0569.jpg.html

Karen Lecturing.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2012_nylug/DSCF0566_001.jpg.html

Ed and Marcia Meyers.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2012_nylug/DSCF0562.jpg.html

Tom and Tina Manley.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2012_nylug/DSCF0577.jpg.html

Roger and Lew as Lew accepts his door prize.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2012_nylug/DSCF0574.jpg.html

C&C always welcome.  Enjoy.

Dick

Replies: Reply from lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz) ([Leica] 2012 NYLUG Meeting & Fuji X Pro-1 Comments)