Subject: [Leica] Press Freedom Index
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 08:45:52 +0200

QUOTE:

The report is based on a questionnaire[1] sent to partner organizations of
Reporters Without Borders (14 freedom of expression groups in five
continents) and its 130 correspondents around the world, as well as to
journalists, researchers, jurists and human rights activists.[2]
The survey asks questions about direct attacks on journalists and the media
as well as other indirect sources of pressure against the free press.
Reporters Without Borders is careful to note that the index only deals with
press freedom, and does not measure the quality of journalism. Due to the
nature of the survey's methodology based on individual perceptions, there
are often wide contrasts in a country's ranking from year to year.

UNQUOTE

They themselves (in the last sentence) imply that the methodology is not
particularly reliable.

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu