Subject: [Leica] TECHNICAL QUESTION?????????
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:35:46 -0700

Yes, I did use the iPad on that trip, and on others. A couple of reasons.
One, I take the iPad with me for e-mail and web access; Two, Kenya had very
inexpensive data rates on a country wide 3g network (I had better reception
everywhere, even on the Masai Mara than I do in my own home here in
Vancouver) and Three, I knew my grandkids, 6 and 7 at the time would love to
see photos and especially movies of the animals back home. The image quality
of the iPad camera is not very good - not as good as that of the iPhone- but
movies of giraffes and elephants were compelling for the kids if grandpa had
just taken them a short time ago. Elephants and giraffes are also excellent
because you can get close enough and they are big enough so the angles of
view that they subtend are nicely within the angle of view of the fixed lens.

On that trip I didn't take a laptop or any backup device for my images. Not
what I would do for commercial work, but I felt safe enough. I have enough
SD cards for any trip I'm likely to take at present, and 20 SD cards take up
as much space as 2 rolls of film. The iPad doesn't work as a backup unless
you are taking relatively few pictures, and besides, we only took RAW which
you can't see on the iPad. With a couple of USB ports and a Finder
interface, the iPad would be hugely more useful. I know, some Android
tablets are a lot better in that regards, but they have other drawbacks.

I also have an iPhone at home, and am very satisfied with it. I'll probably
upgrade it to a 5 when it comes out. My present iPhone is locked to a
carrier, but from now on I'll get an unlocked one. As mentioned, we are very
poorly served by the Canadian carriers. We were just in Germany for 3 weeks,
and since a larger number of us went, we had two cars and sometimes in
cities also did different things, so a couple of cellphones were essential.
We bought cellphones for 19 Euros each, and SIM cards with 200minutes of
talk time included for 5 Euros each. No, the cell phone didn't have a
camera, but I had other cameras with me.

So, Ted. Here I would get an iPhone, mostly because it's the least hassle to
use in practice. The camera in it is as good as P&S of 7 to 8 years ago, and
it does lots of other things easily and intuitively as well.

Henning