Subject: [Leica] TRI-X: RIP
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 21:52:50 +0930

> It is premature, but I think the main concern for most photographers,
> realistic or not, is going to be their umbilical, mythological connection
> with bw history. Once they sell the brand and the technology, everyone will
> start wondering if the producers will trouble to duplicate the Kodak
> process especially since the new owners will likely be ones with their own
> production facilities already in place.

This simply isn't the case.  The physical machinery is as much part of
the product as the chemical formula.  If Kodak finds a buyer for the
Personalized Imaging business they simply cannot port the formulae to
another facility; it would be cheaper to buy the Kodak plant and keep
making it there.  The implementation costs of making "Tri-X" somewhere
else would be huge, to the point of being prohibitive in the current
climate.

Marty

Replies: Reply from lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz) ([Leica] TRI-X: RIP)
Message from lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz) ([Leica] TRI-X: RIP)