Subject: [Leica] MM - first impressions
From: manolito at videotron.ca (EPL)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 22:54:37 -0400

Ted Grant blasted:

> SO EMANUEL WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS???
>
> My photograph of Prime Minister Pierre Elliot  Trudeau of Canada sliding
> down a stair case bannister hands held on high doesn't count, because it's
> shot in B&W. And not Velvia??????
>
> When it's recognized as the most iconic politcal photograph in the history
> of Canada! Not by me, but the National Archives of Canada and many other
> organizations of similar position.
>
> Is that correct good Sir?

To be clear, I'm now saying that Trudeau on the banister would have been
wonderful as colour video -- full motion, with sound!

For me, a better photo of PET was taken by Doug Ball, in London, England, in
1977. It shows Trudeau pirouetting behind H.R.M. Elizabeth II and her
entourage, all oblivious to Trudeau's balletic maneuver.

That's the Trudeau I recognize. (Full disclosure: he was my M.P. and worked
down the street from me after he retired from politics and got back into
law. I'd run into him on the corner at lunch hour.)

Wikipedia refers to Doug Ball's photo as "arguably the most famous photo of
Trudeau."

Ball also captured Robert Stanfield's infamous football fumble, which "is
said to have cost him (and the Conservative Party) the election."

I worry when folks talk about souls, photographed or otherwise. It's a
quaintly hopeful idea for the artsy photographer or for the pious. From what
I can see, Life is in Living Colour. Death seems to be about fading into the
momentary White and then into the permanent Black. That's why we don't want
to go There.

Most of the great B&W photos (I worry about this icon stuff too, seems
somehow connected to souls...) were taken at a time when there was no colour
film. B&W photography ain't coming back, despite the Leica MM.

Emanuel

Replies: Reply from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com) ([Leica] MM - first impressions)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] MM - first impressions)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] MM - first impressions)