Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 31/8/2012: looking for Ansel's tripod holes
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 09:13:18 -1000 (GMT-10:00)

Yosemite as well as most large scale landscapes are of 3 colors... Greys (
or pinks,yellows, or other earth color) of rocks, blues of the sky, and
greens of the vegetation. Usually, to my eye, there are rarely other colors
of importance. For me, B+W works because the color palette is limited. The
rainbow in Nathan's shot are unagreeable to me in B+W. They lack the punch
that becomes the center interest point of the image.
Back to Sonny's comments...
The idea of capturing in color and either deciding later or previsualizing
in B+W is the ideal.  The issue is to first understand the color to
monochrome mapping algorithms and then to implement in LR or other. It is
the percentage of each of the RGB color spaces into a isingle married
monochrome.  I think of it as layers of emulsion with differing spectral
can choose your emulsion after image capture.

Anyway, I like Nathan's renditions

Hope I can do as well on my next visit there

Frank