Subject: [Leica] Prices too high
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 18:40:26 -0700

I am in the same boat as Doug, in the sense that I can never justify
spending more than 2-3000 Euro on a camera body, especially since I acquired
another expensive hobby, cycling, 3 years ago. I paid 2500 EUR for my M8
back in 2008, and it still produces excellent results. When the M10 comes
out and M9 prices plummet as a result, I will probably go bottom-fishing
again.

Someone like Tina, who uses her Leicas to earn income, faces a completely
different calculation.

I do use other systems besides Leica, and I am happy with those results. For
example, on the current trip to California I took the Pentax K5 outfit,
partly because it is more reliable than Leica (especially if it were to
rain) and partly because my son also has a K5 and we could therefore share
lenses. And at high ISO, its performance is vastly superior to my M8.

I just got back from cycling in the hills above Oakland. I just threw the K5
with zoom lens in the handlebar bag of my cousin's bicycle. The country
roads around here are pretty bumpy, and had I taken the M8, it would surely
have been knocked out of alignment by now.

The one thing I have given up on is using Leica lenses on non-Leica bodies.
As good as the various adapters are, it is a kludge. Leica lenses work great
on Leica bodies (film or digital, doesn't matter), and so-so at best on
other bodies.

Cheers,
Nathan