Subject: [Leica] Importing to LR4
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 21:07:08 -0700

LR4 (and earlier I think) advertises that it can be set on an import
operation to avoid duplicates. For a while, I considered this ability
irrelevant because I would reformat my SD card in the camera after doing an
import. However, realizing that the SD card is flash memory with a limited
life, I thought it might be a good idea not to reformat it until I got too
close to the end of its memory space.

So, I tried an experiment. I took one picture. Imported it into LR4. Put the
card back into the camera and took a second picture. Then did a second
import into LR4, choosing the option "new pictures". The import took longer,
as if it were reprocessing the second picture. When the import was over,
there were only two pictures, but the second picture was labelled "copy 2".
I then returned the card to the camera, took a third picture, and repeated
the import.

This time, the third picture appeared only once, but was labelled "copy 3"
and the import process took even longer.

I should have timed these imports, and if everyone tells me "I'm nuts," I'll
repeat the experiment and time them. But I get the impression that it does
not just look at the file names and skip the duplicates, but it first
actually processes them and then discards--if true, that's just disgusting.

Herb

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204