Subject: [Leica] Leica MM and M9 Comparison
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 15:49:15 -0400

I have been lucky that even before I started double fixing and toning and
making sure my wash water was not below 65 degrees and making sure they were
not stuck to each other in the long enough  and not too cold wash and using
Hypo clear or at least Sulfite my body of work is 99.99 percent clear of
really any staining and or discoloring at all. That's my fiber prints. I do
have commeraillaily done by me RC prints which I may have rushed through or
someone else did with a client coming over to see them in  which they needed
more fixing and washing but just got the below minimal.  That stuff is not
near the fiber so the gasses some of these discolored RC's may give off I
don't think  is going to reach them. So they've stayed clear.
That's from 1967 on. 45 years.
Toning RC prints may have been problematical I did that in line for awhile.

I see the age of the silver gelatin print was from 1880 to 1960 where it was
supplanted by the far more dominant color processes both for consumers and
commercially.  1960 - 1880  = 80 years
So that's 80 years silver gelatin was king and I got in on it for half that.
And we know that our intuitions and tests panned out so far on longevity.
Nobodies thinking that that stuff we cranked out according to Hoyle in the
last half of the 20th century is going to turn up multicolored all of a
sudden next time somebody  looks at them and have collectors asking for
their money back or a fresh print.
My intuitions and common sense tells me the inkjet technologies I'm using
from Epson and others I've used of late are going to work out at least as
well. But I'll breath easier when I'm looking at them in the decades on down
maybe I'll have another four.

But the lab shining Fluorescent lights on prints dabbing them with smelly
cotton balls telling me how long to the day its going to last in the year
2525 I find quite comical. Some form of mass hypnotic wishful hysteria which
does not mask the fact that as far the burgeoning technologies in printing
coming out this decade goes we just don't know yet. But will know when they
invent the time machine which I'm sure is just around the corner and be made
in Cupertino I'm glad that guy didn't steal it out of Job's house~!. It will
look just like a microwave but you can set the year 2525 on it hit the
button and wait a minute than a bell goes off and you can see what you're
print looks like.
"oops better not use that paper with that ink! Lets try another one!"
When that happens I'll breath easier with the materials I'm now using.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography