Subject: [Leica] OT Nikon D600
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 05:39:59 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Mark Rabiner wrote:

>I've also owned most of those bodies having used them extensively over
>decades and I'd describe their mirror operation as excellent which would be
>stating the obvious and a long time industry consensus.. I spent very little
>to nothing on repair. They're reputation was deservedly excellent. Not sure
>if a Minolta I mean the early Leica R's was as reliable. I'm thinking not.
>Way not.

Nikon's reputation for reliability (apart from resistor rings) was in part
due to the loose tolerances that allowed dirt and grime to fall right
through them while a camera with tighter tolerances depends more on keeping
the dreck out.  And I would not describe the F as having a quiet mirror
action.  It was more an industrial clunk.  The Leicaflexes are quieter and
smoother in my experience, and apart from the FTN resistor ring (parts
getting scarce by the mid-1980s) and the SL's shutter speed dial (parts
still available) the reliability was pretty much the same.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE) ([Leica] OT Nikon D600)