Subject: [Leica] Telyt 400mm 6.8 with Olympus E-M5, stabilized
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 12:43:19 -0700

Richard Man and Ken Iisaka:

> Wow! If there's ever any proof that IS works...<<<<<<<

Hi Richard & Ken,
Well I suppose the IS thing is great because it's now part of a camera
system. Still not in Leica?

However? What about using a LEICA SLR without IS and shooting frames on film
using either the 400mm 6.8 or the 560mm handheld? However, using the
shoulder stock and pistol grip with micro switch electronically connected to
the motor to trip the shutter? And not a quiver shooting wide open at 1/15
sec? :-) Until the 280mm lens became my long lens of choice with extenders
turning the 280 2.8 into an 800mm f8.0 using both extenders locked on at the
same time!

Actually if you look on my website TEDGRANTPHOTO.COM there is a shot of dew
drops on morning grass with the 800mm and a Leica macro adapter. However the
280 mm in this set-up one definitely used a monopod. I hate using a tripod
for life moments because you are locked to the ground for quickness of
movement!

Also from the large number of international sports events I covered, hand
holding and or monopods became the norm of the Games! As tripods are not
allowed at anytime simply because they take up far too much space in the
photo-positions. Mono-pods are OK or plain old fashion hand holding!! :-) In
my case always with the shoulder-stock, pistol grip and micro switch to
motor!

The "slide barrel lenses' 400 & 560 as I called them, were beautiful to use,
although not a fast lens aperture. But they were almost as light as a
feather when you were using them on a very regular basis.

Just a little side bar story on assignments and len use. :-)

cheers,
Dr.ted  :-)