Subject: [Leica] LR4 Soft Proofing
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:20:19 -0700

Even after seeing Adobe's tutorial on the subject, I'm really puzzled.
Allegedly, Soft Proofing is supposed to show you areas of a picture that are
"out of gamut" and enable you to make minimal changes in hue or saturation
to put those areas back into gamut. But doesn't gamut depend on media? That
is, doesn't the gamut that can be presented depend, e.g. on the
printer/paper combination or the limitations of a monitor?

Since I'm viewing the picture on a monitor, what I get to see is, by
definition, in gamut. Just for fun, I clicked the Soft Proofing box on the
recent picture of some orchids, The blossoms were indicated to be "out of
gamut" and went into gamut after I reduced the saturation to the extent that
they were pale ghosts of their former beauty.

The Soft Proofing option is in the Develop Module, which, to my knowledge,
has no way of specifying the profile of a printer/paper combination. I can't
image how one would effectively use Soft Proofing.

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204

Replies: Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] LR4 Soft Proofing)