Subject: [Leica] turn around time for coding lens for digital M's
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:00:17 -0700

Alan:  Digital has less focus "tolerance" than film.  Some lenses will
need adjustment, some won't, and you sometimes have to deal with focus
shift which you never noticed on film.  90mm lenses sometimes can't be
adjusted enough. The only way to know is to try.  In my mind it's worth
it.

I have an M8. I have used several LTM lenses successfully via Voigtlander
LTM-M adapters, with no need for recalibration.  Including:

Voigtlander(/Cosina) 28/1.9, 28/3.5, 35/1.2, 50/1.5, 90/3.5.
Canon 50/1.8 and 50/1.2, (the latter spot-on wide open, unlike my friend's
Noctilux(!)

Leica lenses: 50 tabbed Summicron was perfect, 35/1.4 'Lux ASPH is good at
f/1.4 and f/2, needs a little tweak closer than the RF indicates at
f/2.8-5.6, DOF covers at f/8 and smaller. So the lens is right on, it's
just that the focus shift of the pre-FLE design has to be dealt with.

My 35/2 Summicron v.4 had to be recalibrated, as did my DR Summicron. The
latter also got the close-focus cam shaved off so it would fit the
camera).  My 90 Summicron (mid-1980s version) was way off, had to be
adjusted by DAG. It's still not perfect, but close enough that I know how
much to compensate.

Since the M8 is at its accuracy limits with a 90/2, your 85 Nikkor is also
pushing it, you'll just have to try. I suspect you'll see focus shift it.
Fast lenses, and Sonnar-design lenses do that. Typical scenario is that
you have to decide how to to have it adjusted. It can be correct wide open
and off between f/2.8-5.6 (usually depth of field covers the error after
f/8). Or it can be good from f/2.8 down and you have to compensate for
front focus at the first stop or two.

Brian Sweeney can adjust 50mm Jupter-8 and -3 lenses and their
corresponding classic Zeiss Sonnars to work perfectly wide-open and close
up, and fine at medium distances to infinity as long as you stop down a
couple of stops. I have such a Jupiter-8, and I love it.

M8s will become even a bit more affordable as some people sell them to get
the ME or the M. Even with its quirks, I have no regrets about getting my
M8. I can shoot digitally with almost all my Leica-compatible lenses.
That's worth jumping through a few initial hoops.

I recommend DAG for lens adjustments, he's faster and more reliable than
Leica has been overall. He can adjust your lenses to his known-good
digital M, or you send him both camera and lenses, and he makes 'em both
right. In my case, the camera was set correctly, so all I had to do was
send the lenses that were "off."

Hope this helps!
--Peter