Subject: [Leica] OT: Tracfone and GPS
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 00:37:39 -0700

Thanks, everybody.

The friend who said he didn't need a data plan works on a campus, so
maybe he uses WiFi. I think he said he bought last year's iPhone (an
unlocked one) on Craig's list from an upgrader, and just uses it with a
prepaid carrier.  No data plan.  There is a pseudo-GPS method that
triangulates your position using nearby cell towers rather than
satellites--that might be involved. I'm not sure how you could get
real-time map updating without a data connection of some sort, so WiFi
may be it. He's travelling now, I'll have ask him when he gets back.

The whole question appears to be academic, though.  The Tracfones are
not really full-fledged smart phones.  They don't have GPS chips.
There's only one that has WiFi--a Blackberry-like model with a small
screen (Samsung S390G). It works with some Java apps, not Android apps.
There is a touch-screen model (bigger screen, obviously) that also does
Java apps, but it doesn't do WiFi, so you're paying cell phone minutes
for inefficient download of data. Me no wanna do that.

The Samsung is actually tempting.  For a $50 one-time cost, it would
give me email and barely tolerable Web browsing on a phone, using any
available WiFi, without forcing me to pay any more for the phone service
than I do now. But it appears that if I really want GPS, I should just
get a dedicated unit.  Otherwise, I'd have to join the monthly-plan
payers, and me no wanna do that, neither.  :-)

The cost of iPhones is breathtaking.  They're kinda like Leicas--very
well-made devices that are a pleasure to use, for which people pay too
much, and they like it.

--Peter