Subject: [Leica] D800E pixel-peepers
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 23:07:14 -0400

Yes you're right a quick search and it pops up everywhere.
Always as a pejorative. My main point anyway.
They are mostly all talking about looking at way over 100% "enlargements".
And the false idea that in film days that never happened. You just eyeballed
it from a distance supposedly.
Well there are no reasons to go over actual pixels. Or 100%. Or 1:1.
Its quick and its easy and really to go higher is just distorting and hard
to see what's going on. 1:1 says it all.
I certainly set my files to 1:1 when I sharpen it. And have it at that
setting often anyway when I'm going much of anything to it. Even often when
I'm color correcting it. Its easy enough to do is very telling about your
image quality.   My point is apologizing about it is ridiculous. Its like
apologizing  for caring or having a technique. Its like apologizing  for
having a command and control over your materials.
Its interesting that photography has come to this.
We're not bringing our film to the drug store any more.
People REALLY miss that.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography