Subject: [Leica] D800E pixel-peepers
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 15:56:16 -0400

Justifying several expensive acquisitions, price needs to account for
residual value.  I sold an original MP 35 years ago for $250; what would it
be worth now?  I passed on a Noctilux fifteen years ago at $2100 and paid
three times that this week.  I paid $1200 for a 24 ASPH seven years ago and
it is worth what now?  On the other hand, a D80 is worth what now, a few
hundred dollars; an M8 maybe $2000 on a good day.

Bodies are just things to put our lenses on; if it does what you need then
great.  I wouldn't sink a lot of money in bodies, especially now when even
the cheapest consumer camera does 16 MP and looks pretty good at ISO's over
3200.

On the other hand, the digital revolution has destroyed film camera values
with the exception of truly collectible items in pristine condition.  Want
a titanium F3, you might find someone who will give it to you if you live
in a photographer dense location.

Parting thought, at the end of the day we all should acquire what does the
job for us even if that job is causing a grin.