Subject: [Leica] THE 617 tests, something is very wrong here
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 15:25:10 -0400

If there is a thousand parts in an SLR there are ten in a few camera. That's
rounding it off but you catch my jist.
Compared to the moving parts in a Leica rangefinder camera or an SLR 35mm or
medium format a view camera is an exercise in extreme simplicity itself.

A very old view camera its nice to use it right way to see if there is a
light leak in the bellows. Other than that there's just not that much to go
wrong.  A new camera is not going to have a light leak in the bellows. And
by very old you can buy them having been made straight back to the 1880's
and used them.  A camera like a Deardorf or this Shen Hao 617 is a direct
reflection of this non technology going back 130 years or more.
I'm never heard of any of my photographer friends buying a new view camera
and lens and having to send it back like there's something wrong with it or
something. They just use it. They just work. The odds of there being
something "wrong" with it close to non existent. Its not like a pixel is
going to be missing in the sensor or something.
Make a stack  photographs with it. Show them to people.
Try to get yourself around other people who are doing view camera work so
you're not working in a vacuum. You're not going to figure this about by
posting to chat groups on the internet.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography