Subject: [Leica] Kate Kirkwood and Leica Liker
From: jon.streeter at cox.net (Jon Streeter)
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 10:13:06 -0800

I'm with Tina.  Ms. Kirkwood's photographs are wonderful, charming, I'm
delighted to have been introduced to her work, and I left her a compliment
on her website to that effect.  But it's also true that they were not done
with a Leica.  When I viewed them on my phone, I couldn't tell, but when I
opened them on my laptop, I thought they didn't look like Leica images.
Speaking purely from an image-quality standpoint, the images appeared to
have something missing, perhaps the micro contrast or the Leica bokeh, the
same thing I noticed long ago when in all innocence I sold my M3 and bought
a Nikon F and couldn't figure out why the images looked so indistinct and
fuzzy by comparison.

So?  So what if photographs posted on LUG were not made with a Leica?  Well,
I'm here to see what others are doing with the Leica not with Nikons or
Canons or Pentaxes or Olympuses or Sonys or ANYthing other than Leica.
Posting non-Leica photgraphs is akin to hijacking a thread:  interesting
twists and turns off the topic might happen, but it's not on the topic.
How many photographs have to be opened and how many captions have to be
checked to see whether the photograph was taken with a Leica?  Judging by
the info accompanying the photographs, a variety of cameras have been used
for images posted.  Isn't there a users group for those other cameras?  I've
been shooting literally thousands of photographs with my year-or-so-old
Fujifilm X-100.  I'm very impressed with this little marvel.  And I will
resist the temptation to post them here.

Have any of you had the experience of shooting with a digital camera, for
whatever reason -- perhaps you shoot weddings, and you've decided that
having a Canon or Nikon DSLR with autoeverything will guarantee that you are
ready for everything -- and then you return to your Leica film camera and
discover that you prefer the portraits taken with the Leica to those with
all your other cameras?  I have had this happen to me, and I think it might
be because I'm capturing the expressions I saw that motivated me to go
"click."  I can't be positive because perusing one's own photographs is
hardly a scientific test.  Judging the quality of a portrait is subjective;
and since I know that I took it with a Leica, perhaps I'm subconsciously
confirming that all that money spent on Leicas and film was justified
because, by Jove, I was right, such marvelous photographs can be taken ONLY
with a Leica, were it not for my extravagance, not to mention good judgment,
this marvelous work of art before me would not exist.   I'm speaking about
Leica film cameras, by the way, which are justly famous for their almost
nonexistent and most likely insignificant shutter lag.  I have no experience
with Leica digital M cameras, and I'm withholding judgment on them until I
can get the shutter-lag issue settled to my satisfaction.  For decades Leica
spoke in very positive terms about the short delay between pressing the
shutter release and the movement of the shutter.  Now that the digital M
cameras have long shutter-lag times even when compared to DSLRs, suddenly
we're hearing that shutter lag doesn't matter, that nobody notices it.
Really?  Nobody?  For capturing fleeting expressions in a portrait session,
nobody has noticed it?