Subject: [Leica] Marty, shutter lag in digital M
From: jon.streeter at cox.net (jon.streeter)
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 02:46:45 -0800

I am well aware of this approach.  It does seem logical that as events
appear to flow like a river, we can almost anticipate what will happen next;
indeed, certain of our assumptions even seem to be accurate.  It's also true
that the future, even the tiniest fraction of a second of it, is unknowable,
though as the election frenzy mounts it's obvious that there are plenty
among us willing, for a fee, to predict it.  Life is full of surprises, and
the lesson that generally goes unlearned is not that a particular thing took
us by surprise but that we can never be ready for a surprise.  If that
surprise is a fleeting expression in a candid or photojournalistic portrait
session, it's more likely to be captured by a camera that responds quickly.
In my experience, by no means anything more than a personal impression, that
camera has been my Leica M3, M6, and Model A while we're at it.  Also,
come.to think of it, my Rolleiflex would be in this group.  However, for
other situations, so-called street photography or candid weddings for
example, in which changing light and situations require refocusing and
changing camera settings, my Canon 20D and 5D have been very close to the
answer to my dreams.  I still prefer the look of images made by my Leica
lenses, however.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone