Subject: [Leica] Michael Johnston on new sensor tech..
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:32:32 +0530

Richard,
Maybe I should add that Michael Johnson's 5 part usage report is only about
Black & White output using the Nikon D800E in its entirety - that is what
he was after, and that is what he covered. I agree with your conclusion on
sensors for smaller print sizes - all will do the job. But then they always
did - our frame of reference has moved up from postcard size to A3 size as
technology has improved, and it is hardly surprising that it should be so -
the same logic holds good for the huge strides for the better made in
inkjet printing, a lesser debated, but equally important cog in this whole
print quality debate.

As an aside, the paragraph from the blog/column before your extract:

"Cutting to the chase: all things considered, the Nikon D800E and Nikkor
AF-S 35mm ?/1.4G lens is the best overall photographic device of any
description I have used thus far in my life."

And the second paragraph after:

"But here's what I did. I dropped the rental camera off at UPS, and turned
right around and drove to Mike Crivello's Cameras, my local camera store,
and bought a
D800<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842926-REG/Nikon_D800_D_800_SLR_Digital_Camera.html/BI/2144/KBID/2882>."

This, too, from an extremely knowledgeable and experienced user who did not
like the idea of handling all that size and weight before he hired the
D800/35mm f1.4G combo.

Cheers
Jayanand