Subject: [Leica] Michael Johnston on new sensor tech..
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:09:35 -0800

In his conclusion to a multi-part D800E usage report (not a review),
Michael wrote:

********
(link to full post: <
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/11/verdict-the-nikon-d800e-and-af-s-35mm-f14g-lens.html
>)

That said, I'm not entirely certain that it's the best camera out there
now, or even that it's actually appreciably better than the Olympus OM-D
E-M5<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842930-REG/Olympus_V204040SU000_OM_D_E_M5_Micro_Four.html/BI/2144/KBID/2882>for
image quality in the small to medium-sized prints I make. My
intuition?and that's all it is?is that digital technology has recently
rounded another curve in its ongoing technological development, in that the
engineers at the camera manufacturers are actively responding to the
photographic community's concerns about dynamic range. This is leading to a
new class of sensor and new emphases of implementation?and a new, higher
level of image quality that is exciting and gratifying. These new FF
Nikons; the
D7000<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735002-REG/Nikon_25468_D7000_DSLR_Camera_Body.html/BI/2144/KBID/2882>and
the Pentax
K-5II<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891517-REG/Pentax_12016_K_5_II_Digital_SLR.html/BI/2144/KBID/2882>;
the newest rangefinder-style Fujis, starting with the
X100<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751784-REG/Fujifilm_16128244_Finepix_X100_12_MP.html/BI/2144/KBID/2882>and
definitely including the great
X-Pro1<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839135-REG/Fujifilm_162255391_X_Pro_1_Digital_Camera.html/BI/2144/KBID/2882>;
and the current best Micro 4/3 camera, the OM-D, all seem to belong to this
movement. There may be more. The Canon 5D Mark
III<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847545-REG/Canon_5260A002_EOS_5D_Mark_III.html/BI/2144/KBID/2882>,
for one, might also belong in this group, though I don't know a lot about
that one.
********

This is what I was referring to in the Sony full frame compact side-thread
a few days ago: there does seem to be a genuine leap with the latest sensor
such that even the tiny 4/3 sensor seems to compare favorably with the best
that are/were available. Or to put it this way: if you were happy with last
generation's full frame sensor performance, you can now get similar
performance even on smaller sensors.

Yes this means that if you are forever chasing "the best," the best new
full frame sensors (and that could be the Nikon D800/E, or the Leica
M/T240, or..) will be even better, but it's no longer necessary. If you
consider other factors, smaller cameras are warranted consideration, even
if you want really good image quality/

Not that I will personally move. My M9 is still one of the best phototool
with the Leica rangefinder DNA.

--

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Michael Johnston on new sensor tech..)