Subject: [Leica] So, wouldn't a 50mm Summicron LTM or 35mm f2 ASPH LTM be the best enlarging lens on earth?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 23:41:56 -0500

One of the first Axioms of photography is the huge difference between a lens
for a camera and a lens made for an enlarger.
This is complicated by the fact that the thread size for most enlarging
lenses is "Leica size".  Which is 39mm.
Becuae in the  30's they either didn't know this very basic first axiom or
it was not the case yet. And people used their Elmars to first shoot the pix
then print it. An idea being the defects of the lens in the taking would
cancel out itself in the printing. Like fall off for instance.

But now an exquisite German or top Nikkor enlarging lens can be traded for a
pair of old shoes.  And everything 35mm format shot you do with whatever
lens Nikkor or Canon or Leitz passes through that enlarging lens.
Its the most important camera gear buy there is. Bar none.
Get an APO.
Or a 63mm Nikkor which is what I used and still have.

The Picker people thought you needed an 80.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] So, wouldn't a 50mm Summicron LTM or 35mm f2 ASPH LTM be the best enlarging lens on earth?)
Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] So, wouldn't a 50mm Summicron LTM or 35mm f2 ASPH LTM be the best enlarging lens on earth?)