Subject: [Leica] Comparison of DMR to Nikon D800E the cheap nikon 28-80
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 08:26:36 +0530

Aram,
Zeiss ZF 15mm f2.8 Distagon if you want a state of the art Leica
substitute. Nikkor 16-35mm for us mere mortals who want zoom and autofocus.
(-:
Cheers
Jayanand

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 6:18 AM, Aram Langhans <leica_r8 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> 24/2.8R I have not converted to Nikon mount.
>
> My possible choice is the 16-35/4 Nikon.  I don't want the 14-24/2.8
> Nikon. I want to be able to use filters and not have that massive lens
> exposed to the elements all the time.  Too much money to risk that.  That
> said, it seems like all the zooms I read about talk about the horrendous
> distortions they have. They do say it is correctable in software, but I
> guess I am spoiled by my Leica and before that by Zeiss glass.  Why spend
> well over $1K for a lens that has this distortion and has to be corrected
> with software? And when you do correct, the sharpness does suffer as you
> stretch and massage pixels into their correct position.
>
> Aram
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Mark Rabiner
> Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2012 12:42 PM
> To: Leica Users Group
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Comparison of DMR to Nikon D800E the cheap nikon 28-80
>

> For two solid weeks I've been shooting with a normal zoom nikon kit lens of
> the pervious film fueled decade.
> The Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G
>
> On my D700
>
> Straight from the dark side:
> http://www.kenrockwell.com/**nikon/28-80mm-g.htm<http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-80mm-g.htm>
>
> " The Nikon 28-80mm G is a dinky 7-ounce (190g) plastic zoom with
> incredibly
> good performance."
> " Incredible means unbelievable. The performance of this lens is so good
> that no one will believe it possibly can come from a lens this cheap."
>
> Cheap means 50 bucks.
>
> " The Nikkor 28-80mm G is one of Nikon's most popular lenses of all time.
> Nikon made over a million and a half of these, so you will find them
> everywhere. Mine came attached to an N55."
>
> I bought an N55 so I could get this lens. I used the camera once.
>
> " The front element is a compound aspherical. This means Nikon glues a thin
> plastic corrector over another spherical glass element, giving the
> performance of an aspherical lens at a low price"
>

> Mark William Rabiner
> Photography
> http://gallery.leica-users.**org/v/lugalrabs/<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/>
>

>  From: Aram Langhans <leica_r8 at hotmail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 09:55:32 -0800
>> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>> Subject: Re: [Leica] Comparison of DMR to Nikon D800E
>>
>> That's what I have gathered.  But as you say, expensive, and indeed heavy.
>> One of my prime considerations for lens choice is weight, as I hike all
>> over
>> with them.  They could be with me for 10 hours in a day.  I thought the
>> 35/70 was heavy at one time, but nothing compared to my current Nikon
>> 24-120/4 I bought at the last minute to substitute for the 35/70 when I
>> dropped it and broke it a few weeks before a two month trip, so I needed
>> something.  the 24/120 was lighter and smaller than the 24-70/2.8

>>> for both is excellent, but would give the D4 a bit of a nod here, due to