Subject: [Leica] size matters
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 23:00:30 -0700

Size matters (format/sensor size), but sometimes not in the direction you
think.  Back in around 1960 I had a brief job as photographer for the
student newspaper at my university (Louisiana State or LSU for folks on
this side of the Atlantic).  When I went on staff I was issued a Linhoff
4x5 press camera and told in no uncertain terms that 35mm was out of the
question for press work.  So I lugged the Linhoff to various shoots and did
my job, but longed to use the little Leica IIIf I had bought.  One day my
editor assigned me to shoot an important track meet and I dutifully loaded
six film holders with film and went off to do the job.  I soon realized
that I couldn't do much with 12 frames and was totally incapable of
following the fast action that the meet entailed.  Out of frustration I put
a roll of Tri-X in the Leica and shot a 36 exposure roll, as much for my
own satisfaction as for the assignment.  When I developed the roll I
immediately saw that the 35mm stuff was the best record of the event and
decided to show a contact sheet to the editor.  He agreed that the Leica
shots were the best of the bunch and chose 14 to run as a centerfold spread
of the event.  Since I got paid by the published shot I was elated.  At
$1.50 per shot I had earned $21!  I was rich!  If that sounds silly,
remember that in today's money that would be around $168, quite a windfall
for a college student.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE