Subject: [Leica] Monochrom PESO
From: leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:42:36 -0800

Lluis, thanks again for you kind words.

I have yet to use Silver Efex. I've tried several images in it to see
what the program was like, and I really can't say anything it does
appeals to me.
I don't want my images to look like 35mm film.
A large majority of my older work in 35mm was with color transparency
film, particularly Fuji Astia & Velvia.
I used my 4x5 for monochrome images, which is why I don't have much or
it available on my gallery, due to the costs of getting a quality scan
of sheet film.
In my ideal world, I want my digital images to look like well exposed &
processed sheet film.
Smooth and full range of tonalities, good sharpness, and minimal grain
(or noise).
I am still figuring out how to do that consistently with the post
processing tools that are now available.

A digital image is not a film image, and that is all right.
Just as an oil painting is not a watercolor; both offer a look that is
in accordance to what the artist wishes.

At this time, I think the Monochrom is the only thing out there that can
get me to where I want to be without going back to sheet film.

I may have a different opinion when I get a printer (soon) that is
capable of taking monochrome inks and start printing the files, but I
hope not!

Jay

On 12/10/2012 6:09 PM, Lluis Ripoll wrote:
> Jay,
>
> I have now a very few time more. These to last posting are excellent B&W,
> the kind of BW I want obtain, particularly I like better the second one,
> the light is wonderful, clean whites and blacks seeing texture... a great
> work!
>
> Just a question, did you aded processing with Silver Efex Pro 2?, I always
> apply this process and I obtain the best results, but when you already
> have an excellent source file as the one by the MM...? Looking at these
> images I think that I can completely forget the nostalgia I have for the
> film, maybe the film improve more density range and deep tones, but a very
> few difference, when I've test the files that Tina has offered us, I was
> really impressed by the versatility that these files has for give
> different editions in B&W. IMO this one demonstrates what is capable this
> camera:
>
>   http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/luisrq/Test/121018_0474bn.jpg.html
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Cheers
> Lluis

Jay,

Want to be a better photographer?
Stand in front of more interesting things...
Jay Burleson Gallery <http://jayburleson.com/leica/gallery/index.php/>

Replies: Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Monochrom PESO)
Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Monochrom PESO)
Message from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Monochrom PESO)