Subject: [Leica] Color vs B&W
From: ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:35:49 -0500

When you choose to do a black and white version of what someone looks like,
and you decide to throw away all color information because it is not
important to YOU,
you have simplified what that person is
it is a caricature

a good caricature can tell you much about an individual, but is not
necessarily better for the purpose

Emanuel's first post was NOT to say that color was superior--nor are any of
my comments meant that way.

What I was saying is that I tire of the idea held by some that black and
white is naturally superior.
I believe that is wrong--we can talk all day about why we prefer one or the
other--there are lots of reasons to find--the period of my upbringing and my
budget when I was learning photography for instance

prefer which ever you like, just do not tell me that your (collective not
personal) opinion is an innate fact of life

I love my world in color--I like both you color and B&W pictures

maybe I'm just dogma averse

ric