Subject: [Leica] IMG: M8 vs. OM-D, real people pictures
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:55:28 -0800

The following is unscientific, but probably useful.  These pictures were
shot at the same house, in the same general situation (festive occasions),
with much the same lighting, some of the same people, and too much food. The
difference is that the first picture of each pair below was taken with a
Leica M8 and 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH at ISO 640.  The second picture of each
pair (Christmas Eve this year) was taken with an OM-D E-M5 and a Panasonic
20/1.7 at ISO 3200. Each pair was taken at roughly the same place, and so
has similar lighting unless the bulbs were changed to something different in
between the pictures.

Both lenses were used somewhere between wide open and closed down one stop.
Everything was shot RAW and processed with Capture One, using the defaults,
and making the white balance look reasonably good to my eye, but without my
trying to go against the basic nature of the camera.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/erevxmas2011/L1008813.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/xmaseve2012/PC240049-w.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/NewYear2011-12/L1009035.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/xmaseve2012/PC240053-w.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/erevxmas2011/L1008832.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/xmaseve2012/PC240067-w.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/ErevXmas09/L1005913.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/xmaseve2012/PC240069-w.jpg.html>

Feel free to browse the rest of the folders if you want to see more.

Here's what I'm seeing so far:

1. The M8 with 35mm Summilux is clearly sharper when properly focused. But
the E-M5 with 20/1.7 is quite usable. Note that the difference in sharpness
is less when both cameras are set at ISO 800, but it is still there, and you
can see it even in these Web-sized JPGs.
2. Despite the E-M5's wonderful image stabilization, I can get sharper shots
at ~1/60 with the M8 than I can with the E-M5.
3. The M8 is biased towards pink/magenta, the E-M5 towards yellow. (Yes, I'm
using an IR filter on the M8).
4. The E-M5 at 3200 is a bit noisier than the M8 at 640. From other sessions
not shown here, I see that at 800/640 the E-M5 seems a little less noisy
than the M8 in the shadows. So 1600 may be the "sweet spot" for the E-M5.
I'm going to shoot New Year's Eve at ISO 1600 rather than 3200, and see how
that fares.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] IMG: M8 vs. OM-D, real people pictures)
Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] IMG: M8 vs. OM-D, real people pictures)